Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 18:48:22 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 06/08/2016 12:23 PM, Per Jessen wrote:

The developer claims the site serves fine on his own PC

yea, right!

I had that years ago from an accounting system developer.
Only my client loaded up a complete warehouse of inventory and about
500
transactions per day. When we marched down to visit the developer he
only had a couple of dozen items and tried it with one or two
transactions.

He simply didn't understand 'scalability' and was locking every
transaction. For much too long.
Yes the code was 'accounting practices perfect', but the system was
unusable in a real world situation.

A massive recoding and finer grained modularization (and hence
locking) also speeded up in other ways such as cache reticence.

Yes, anyone who has been around for long enough will easily recognise
that situation. I would be very happy with a plain scalability issue
like that :-)

I cannot yet explain the - seemingly superfluous - 15000 stat() calls on
directories above the DocRoot.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.5°C)