Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 18:23:33 +0200
Dave Howorth wrote:

On 2016-06-08 16:08, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 06/08/2016 09:35 AM, Per Jessen wrote:

It looks like 15'000 calls of lstat() is more likely the issue. I
have not yet determined whether that is a reasonable number or not.

Hmm.
Not cheap.
And why?
Is this because of directories with large number of files and
obsessive step-and-repeat.

It seems to be 405 unique files or directories, 285 that belong to
processwire (the cms).

Otherwise:

/srv/www/vhosts/srv000004b/htdocs - 1461 calls.
/srv/www/vhosts/srv000004b - 2076
/srv/www/vhosts - 2076
/srv/www - 2076
/srv - 2076

I don't really understand why anything
above "/srv/www/vhosts/srv000004b/htdocs" should be interesting ....

But, once again, if there is a directory with 15,000 files and its
doing a step-and-repeat to find one, then that bad architecture.

The total website contains 4561 files, all included, also the CMS
code.

The first question is whether the inefficiency is in apache or the PHP
code.

Right - I am using mpm_itk, which adds a little bit of overhead, but
it's worth it.

The developer claims the site serves fine on his own PC (typical
multi-core thingie), so another question I have been pondering is if
the hardware is suitably potent. I don't really see an issue, but as
the filesystem is on our SAN connected with iSCSI, IO might not be
quite as plentyful as on a stand-alone PC with SSD drives. Still,
15000 superfluous calls to lstat() ...

Given that you say other sites using the same apache are much
more speedy, it seems very likely that it's the PHP code. In which
case, debugging the PHP should be way easier than trying to figure out
what's happening from an strace log.

Hmm, that is a possibility. I was even thinking of registering for the
processwire forum and post a question there.

Am I right in thinking that you still feel that you need to solve
this, rather than the web programmer? If so, then posting the source
of index.php or whatever page it is that you're looking at might help
us find the problem.

My impression of the programmer is that he's more of a designer than a
programmer. Yes, the ball is still very much with me - it's matter
of "the website is slow on your mahcine" vs. "it works very well on
mine".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.5°C)