Re: [opensuse] apache 2.4 performance issue / processwire.
On 06/08/2016 08:50 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
When I capture a computer display with png

If you mean use a screen-scraper tool like KSnapshot then no wonder you
get poor quality!

Maybe I've generated it myself in which case I can recreate the image
without the text, convert, the reapply the text with gimp maybe the tool
I used to create the image can export to a gif or jpeg.

Many of my images are mindmaps and the tools I use can export to all
those formats.

and then convert to jpg with
gimp (watching the quality-size balance)

OUCH again!
Gimp is not the best tool to do a png -> gif or jpeg conversion

Try 'convert' from the ImageMagick package.

I observe that letters and
other details become grainy.

Its a shame that PNG doesn't define a 'text" chunk the way that HTML
does, or the other "XML" like standards such as SVG. NAPLPS, a sort-of
precursor to HTML in some ways was very text oriented and also had
'text' chunks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAPLPS

So I would create both, then decide which to use, one by one.