Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
On 2016-06-08 13:39, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Most people, with our current Ipv4 connections, get a new IP the
instant there is a glitch in the connection. Be it the wind moving
the copper cables or the router being unplugged.

That is not the way DHCP is supposed to work. You're supposed to
have a
lease time, during which you "own" the address. As long as you renew
before the lease expires, you should retain the same address.

I know, but ISPs perverted that on most places. Yours is highly
unusual.

I'm not so totally sure about that - Bluewin, the provider of the
incumbent Swiss telco does the same. What's unusual is that James's
connection has a fixed hostname, specific to his hardware.

We could do a poll to find out how many of us get "pseudo-fixed" IPs :-)

Huh, I know my ADSL IP changed instantly and often. I wonder about now
that I'm on fibre. [...] Apparently I keep the same one for the last
month. Now I have to find out if it changes when my router goes down.
But not exactly now :-)

Very funny when on police movies they find the IP of the bad guy and
correlate to a house on seconds. Ha!

You mean that's not how it works?? :-)

LOL, no. You need access to the radius server of that ISP, and correlate
the time stamp with the moment they captured the traffic. Then you need
the client database, to correlate the radius file with the the actual
street address (including the flat and apartment!).

It is surprising, though, how accurate google locates people without
using GPS. I don't know how they do it. I don't know if it happens to
everybody. If I were using WiFi I know they have them mapped, but cable?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)