Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
On 06/07/2016 10:28 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-06-08 03:46, James Knott wrote:
On 2016-06-07 23:07, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Op 07-06-16 om 21:25 schreef Carlos E. R.:

Of course, by "static", does the ISP mean addresses permanently
assigned to the customer, rather than just not likely to change?
Those are 2 different things. As I mentioned, my address, though
dhcp, is virtually static. A business user would like have a
permanent address that will never change. I'd like to know what
happens when he resolves the unstable ADSL modem issue.

Yes, virtually static would suffice for most people. We would have to
use the equivalent to dyndns if we wanted to, say, give some one a
link on our computers to a file or photo or whatever. Which means an
extra step (an intermediary) anytime we want any IoT service.

I use a regular DNS server, not dyndns. While my IPv4 address is DHCP,
the host name if fixed, dependent on modem and router MAC addresses.
So, I just use an alias on the DNS server that points to that host
name. Works fine. So far, for IPv6, I've just used the actual
addresses to create AAAA records.

Most people, with our current Ipv4 connections, get a new IP the
instant there is a glitch in the connection. Be it the wind moving the
copper cables or the router being unplugged.

That is not the way DHCP is supposed to work. You're supposed to have a
lease time, during which you "own" the address. As long as you renew
before the lease expires, you should retain the same address.

As mentioned, my IPv4 address is virtually static. But even if it
wasn't, as long as the host name is fixed, it doesn't matter. The alias
will still work.

This is not what was supposed to be internet when it was invented.
Everyone was supposed to have a fixed IP, so that we could connect
with anyone we sished for whatever reason we wanted.

That's one of the reasons NAT is bad.