Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 07:46:10 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-06-08 03:46, James Knott wrote:
On 2016-06-07 23:07, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Op 07-06-16 om 21:25 schreef Carlos E. R.:

Of course, by "static", does the ISP mean addresses permanently
assigned to the customer, rather than just not likely to change?
Those are 2 different things. As I mentioned, my address, though
dhcp, is virtually static. A business user would like have a
permanent address that will never change. I'd like to know what
happens when he resolves the unstable ADSL modem issue.

Yes, virtually static would suffice for most people. We would have to
use the equivalent to dyndns if we wanted to, say, give some one a
link on our computers to a file or photo or whatever. Which means an
extra step (an intermediary) anytime we want any IoT service.

Most people, with our current Ipv4 connections, get a new IP the
instant there is a glitch in the connection. Be it the wind moving the
copper cables or the router being unplugged.

This is not what was supposed to be internet when it was invented.
Everyone was supposed to have a fixed IP, so that we could connect
with anyone we sished for whatever reason we wanted.

The internet when it was created was never supposed to connect every man
and his dog (and its fleas) :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.4°C)