Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 14:14:50 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 06/07/2016 07:18 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
You can split that /56 into multiple /64s with openSUSE as a router.
Also, why do you think your addresses will change? Dhcpv6-pd uses
something called DUID which ties your prefix to the hardware, so
it shouldn't change.
If it doesn't change why are we even bothering with this whole
discussion? Just configure your IPv6 prefix it statically and you're
done.

On IPv4, my dhcp address changed so seldom, it was virtually static.
However, on rare occasion, my ISP did network changes that required
address changes. If I had done used static config, I might find
myself without a working address or conflicting with someone else.
The same applies with dhcpv6-pd. The aprefix will likely not change,
but you don't do anything to keep it from happening if necessary.

To answer your own question - that is precisely why Koenraad thinks
his "addresses will change".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (24.2°C)