Re: [opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 13:20:32 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 06/07/2016 06:58 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Op 07-06-16 om 12:17 schreef Carlos E. R.:
The router gets the prefix from the ISP, I understand. Everything
connected to the router should get that prefix.

Or, everything gets a non-routable prefix instead, and the router
does NAT (or something).

I think there is a misunderstanding.
I get a /56 prefix from my ISP, i.e. 256 /64 subnets.
Hosts directly attached to the router get an address in some /64
subnet (say #00).
Right. 2001:db8::

There I can add another router (my linux-firewall),
so its "external" interface gets an address in that first prefix
(#00).
2001:db8::2

The "internal" interface gets an address in another /64 subnet (via
PD, some subnet other than #00)).
2001:db8::1:1

And these internal addresses are unknown to the first router (I
think, or is there some ipv6 magic ?).
How does your internal network get a /64 network?

radvd should only emit to the internal interface, isn't it ?

radvd will use whatever interfaces it's configured for. Is it your
radvd or the one of the dsl router?

When I was getting a /56 via 6in4 tunnel, I was able to configure
openSUSE to pass a 2nd /64 to a VLAN and updated radvd accordingly to
hand out the appropriate prefix. So, it's not a problem for a Linux
based or commercial grade router to handle. I'm currently running
pfsense and it also supports multiple local interfaces, including
VLANs.

This doesn't sound overly relevant when you weren't using DHCPv6-PD with
your tunnel?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.9°C)