Re: [opensuse] On Hubs and Horse Whips
On 2016-06-06 23:30, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
Quoting Carlos E. R. <>:

You should not consider using a hub even on the humblest of setups,
unless you can not get something better.

At the time, switches were available at a reasonable price. IIRC, switches
with mirroring ports were not as affordable.

That's a point, yes.

I had to look around to find a
hub. 300Mbps Internet is available where I live for $70 (63€) per month. The
50Mbps connection I have is half that. In practice there is almost nothing I
use that comes close to maxing that out. Even with two laptops and a
smartphone, anything more than 50Mbps is throwing money away.

There is no 50Mbps fibre connection from this provider I use. I think I
can force them to go down to 12 (the equivalent in price and perfomance
of ADSL), but it comes with a drop in other benefits: free calls, free
calls on mobile, TV on demand... Going from 100Mbps to 300 was 7 euros.
I did not want the speed increase, I wanted other benefits that came
with it, like increase of 1 to 2 GB data cap on the mobile, and TV
serials on demand service.

50, or rather 60Mbps is offered by another provider that use fibre to
the block, then coax to the home. They simply have it hard to go to 300,
so the competition does it in order to have a publicity advantage, not
because it is really needed.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >