Re: [opensuse] On Hubs and Horse Whips
Quoting Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 2016-06-05 16:06, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 06/04/2016 10:36 PM, James Knott wrote:
Most hubs run at 10 Mb, a few at 100 Mb and none at Gb. A hub will
severely throttle modern connections, which may interfere with what
you're trying to observer.

Once again, James, your missing the point of the CONTEXT Jeffrey was
stating.

Yes there are going to be contexts where what you say is true, and ones,
certainly ones that I have met and probably Jeffrey has met, where what
you say isn't true.

Its also possible that even with the slowing down the problem still
appears because it has nothing to do with the speed of the packets and
everything to do with something else about them.

Context is Everything.

I just had a look at my local shop, and they don't even sell ethernet
hubs. If someone sells today a hub for someone to install at home, I
consider that a swindle. Pure swindle.

Maybe there are hubs somewhere. Old stuff lying around, or sellers
trying to sell obsolete stuff. Of course many people would not know of
the difference. Or even notice. They would perhaps think that Internet
is slow but think that it is like that, nothing to be done.

You should not consider using a hub even on the humblest of setups,
unless you can not get something better.

At the time, switches were available at a reasonable price. IIRC, switches
with mirroring ports were not as affordable. I had to look around to find a
hub. 300Mbps Internet is available where I live for $70 (63€) per month. The
50Mbps connection I have is half that. In practice there is almost nothing I
use that comes close to maxing that out. Even with two laptops and a
smartphone, anything more than 50Mbps is throwing money away.

With the light population here and mostly heavily loaded servers on the other
end, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a hub and a switch
without more effort testing than it's worth.