[opensuse] wicd instead of network manager enabled after install, wifi not working
  • From: Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 04:53:23 +0100
Hello,

I have a desktop computer which has a PCI Wi Fi card. Internet is only
available via Wi Fi.

When I installed OnepSuSe LEAP, it started up and Wi Fi was not
working. I went into YaST and found that "Wicked services" was set as
the network setup manager, but I found no way to start wicd. So I was
stuck without it.

When I (with some prompting from IRC) switched the setting to Network
manager, YaST wanted to install a package and the Internet was not
there. Thankfully I got around this by getting an open wifi network up
temporarily and connecting to it using iwconfig.

Now everything works and there is a nice Network Manager widget in the
KDE system tray. But why was wicd the initial setting and where was
its UI?

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik