Re: [opensuse] Secondary keyboard?

On 06/05/2016 07:19 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 06/05/2016 07:42 PM, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Hello,

My system has a primary language (English UK) and a secondary language
(Russian). I'd like to install a secondary keyboard too.

But YaST only lets me choose one system keyboard layout.

How can I get the secondary keyboard to work, apart from manually
editing x.org configuration?

In the KDE desktop configuration, you can enable multiple keyboard
layouts and then select them, either by pressing Crtl-Shift or by
clicking on the keyboard layout button on the task bar.
I think you might also be able to connect two usb keyboards, one with Latin letters and one with Cyrillic characters and layout, both at the same time. If the machine could only use
one port for the k/b, then connect them both via a hub. (I don't know if that would work--the computer must know that there's more than one device on its one usb i/o.) You'd still
have to tell the computer which language to expect. I don't write Russian, but I'd be curious to know if this would work--others who write in a highly inflected language like French
might also be able to take advantage of this arrangement. (I've never seen a French k/b, but there must be one, that has all the accents and curlicues, etc.)

--dm