Re: [opensuse] On Hubs and Horse Whips
On 2016-06-05 16:54, James Knott wrote:
On 06/05/2016 10:23 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

I first saw consumer grade routers about 21 years ago, at a computer
show. This was so long ago that they were designed for dial up access,
not cable modem or DSL (neither of those were available at the time).
Even then, they had a switch and not a hub. I have never seen a
consumer router that used a hub and doubt there ever was one. This was
around the time that switches were replacing hubs in general. You could
still buy hubs then, and they were significantly cheaper than a switch.
These days, you can get a new switch for as little as $10

Yes, I noticed.

I was looking at the specs of my old router, a Comtrend CT536+. Can't
figure out if it was switch or hub. I think it was a hub because all
traffic was visible.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >