Re: [opensuse] On redundant technology and the context for its use
On 06/05/2016 10:52 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-06-05 16:33, James Knott wrote:

I'd like to hear it. The only thing a hub can do that an unmanaged
switch can't do is monitor traffic. But sticking a 10 Mb half duplex
device into a modern network is going to kill performance. On the other
hand, a managed switch, with port mirroring, is capable of monitoring at
full wire speed.

Except that simultaneous speed or however is called, gets killed.
Everything on all ports have to be copied onto a single port, so max
total speed is that of that single port.

Similar to having a gigabit hub.

Indeed!
In fact the model Jeffrey described with the hub as a tap upstream means
that the users communicating _across_ the switch downstream are not
impacted.

A "better" solution!

If the internet connection is a 1 MB ADSL (what I had not long ago), a
10 MB hub is fine as long as you only connect to internet, not between
the computers in the house. Internet is slow, after all (in that house).

All this exchange, the Thee and Mee in this thread, are well informed,
well experienced in this field players. More to the point, a;ll of us
have a plethora of connected devices, most of which get simultaneous use.

Yes, a hub must share its bandwidth with each and every one of its
ports. So when only one PC is broadcasting, it will have access to the
maximum available bandwidth. For Joe Sixpack consumer who has the one PC
and one printer and is either browsing/reading mail or printing it
doesn't matter if he has a hub or switch. He's not like us. It's only
when he has to plug in AND SIMULTANEOUSLY USE many devices, possibly
cascading them though the house, does this come into play.

And even they it might not matter. Having a gigabit switch and a
package such as the Rogers Ignite 60 James mentioned gives just 60M
download. You need to more than triple what he's paying to get 1G
download from Rogers. Maybe a lot of people do. I don't know any, not
even those who, nominally, run a home business.

I'm sure 'family' settings also justify simultaneous access, but does
that mean that everyone in the house is simultaneously downloading movies?

Heck, the way a lot of software works its in the background. More mail
is being downloaded for me as I have this edit window open, and my
editing isn't using bandwidth. Even if I was using webmail with a web
based editor it wouldn't be using much bandwidth!

It's all very well making assertions abased on one, perhaps corporate
context, but there are a lot of, a lot more of, home users, and many of
them are 'singletons".

Context is Everything.