Re: [opensuse] On Hubs and Horse Whips
On 06/05/2016 10:01 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 06/04/2016 10:19 PM, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:

A hub can act as a cheap tap to monitor network traffic. I used one with
Snort on the Internet facing side of a broadband router to see what the
firewall was keeping at bay. A switch can't do that.

A real tap is much more expensive.

Thank you Jeffrey, for that nice, simply example showing a realistic
context!

However, as I pointed out last night, a cheap gigibit managed switch
cost $20 less than the hub I bought years ago and can do the job better.