Re: [opensuse] Re: OFF-LIST Do you think this can be done? I'm not sure
On 06/04/2016 10:49 PM, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
It's a gigabit switch and you can configure it so that one port can
monitor the traffic of one or more other ports.
BTW, this costs about $20 less than what I paid for an 8 port, 10 Mb
hub, back in the late 90s.

Those that can afford Gb connections to the Internet can afford more expensive
hardware than I can. This was a decade ago. I probably had somewhere between
2Mbps and 10Mbps connectivity.

Many people run over 100 Mb Internet connections these days, not to
mentioned gigabit on the local LAN. Also, I just remembered another use
for my hub. It is, in fact, a 9 port hub, with the 9th port a BNC
connector on the rear panel. This means I could use that hub to connect
a 10base2 coax network to a switch. Problem is, 10base2 became obsolete
when 10baseT hubs appeared and are really scarce now. Incidentally,
back in 1997, I was working on a project in the Ontario government
buildings in "Queen's Park" in Toronto, to convert their network from
10base2 to 10baseT switched network. They went straight from 10base2 to
switches, without bothering with hubs. Hubs would not have given a
performance improvement over coax, but switches did. My first
experience with Ethernet would have been with DECNET, connecting VAX
11/780 computers, back in the 80s. That network used the 10base5 "thick
net" cables (10base2 was called "thin net").