Re: [opensuse] Gobs of RAM?
On 06/03/2016 03:40 PM, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
On 06/03/2016 12:04 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
E7-8893v3
Per Intel:
Recommended Customer Price $6841.00

So, over $25K just for the 4 CPUs

Probably over $50K for the RAM.

This is one hell of a machine you are talking about.

The "pie-in-the-sky" quote was about $175,000 US. This included 400-GB
of NVMe for the operating system.

The data disks would be a RAID of spinning SAS. We've lots of experience here
and can manage 1.4-GB/sec writing to an 11-disk RAID6 array.

But it looks today like they choked on the price and are now considering
modification
of the display algorithms to run on smaller machines. Still, it would have
been
fun...

Thanks for your help Greg, the vendor I was working with is going to look at
the link you sent too.

Regards,
Lew

Sheeze!

And I thought I had seen a big box when I ended up with the hand-me-down
Supermicro H8QM8-2. (the plus side to the older hardware was spare Opteron 8360
SE's were only $14 each, and an extra 32G of ram was another $40, I also
splurged for a pair of LSI Megaraid 8888ELP cards $12 each [very little benefit
in SATA III for platter drives] :-)

Why anyone would ever need more than 64K of RAM?...

Seriously, the limitations for the amount of memory that can be
addressed/managed by each processor is ... well processor dependent. As for the
Linux scheduler divvying out instructions into pipelines and the processor's
scheduler and control of separate regions of RAM, there seems to be no one-size
fits all solution. That's why you system designer folks make the big bucks :)

That's about where my eyes glaze over. The discussions of NUMA addressing the
processor stall problem inherent with SMP providing each core full access to all
available memory makes sense, along with the NUMA nodes and memory zones, but
then throw in the software dependency and differences needed to tailor different
handling for small app small percentage of overall memory verses large
application large percentage of ram use.... and I'll punt.

A quick look and I found several articles that helped make it clear as mud:

Non-uniform memory access
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-uniform_memory_access

NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory Access): An Overview
http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2513149

I'm just glad I'm not the one that has to make the call on putting together
six or seven figure boxes. I'll take comfort being the one that gets the call
when something doesn't quite work out as expected :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.