Re: [opensuse] Graphics for Server
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 08:43:39 +0200
Paul Groves wrote:

OK, my conversions on my desktop finished and I managed to get time to
test this out.

I put my 760 into the server and fired it back up. I converted a one
hour video 1080p and it only took 14 mins from mp4 to mkv. (ffmpeg -i
input.mp4 output.mkv)

I then shutdown, out the 760 back in my desktop PC and booted the
server back up and proceeded to repeat the same conversion using the
3470ks on-board graphics.

I started that at half 7 and it is now 10 minutes past 10 and it is
only 41% done.

Conclusion: ffmpeg uses the hardware acceleration / encoding chips on
my Nvidia 760.

Hi Paul, thanks for reporting back to us, I'm happy to hear I wasn't
wayyyy wrong :-) I wonder if there is a way to "ask" ffmpeg whether it
uses hw acceleration or not.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.4°C)