[opensuse] Re: dhcpv6-pd
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 08:41:18 +0200
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Op 02-06-16 om 21:13 schreef Per Jessen:
My recommendation is to go with pfsense, at least until the openSUSE
developers quit putting eye candy ahead of function.

Just to learn about it, I might well do that.

James, be a little reasonable - the guys writing e.g. wicked and the
network support have little need for eye candy. Most of the people
out there on IPv6 probably have a router supplied by the provider
which
happily takes of it. Needing/wanting to build your own IPv6 router
with this support is a bit of a cornercase, I would say. Might also
be difficult to find a suitable test environment.

My dsl-modem gets a /56 prefix. Afther that I put another box, namely
the suse-box. After that I have an internal network. In that situation
you have to use PD when the ISP does not hand out static prefixes.

Does your suse-box actually get a PD from your provider when your DSL
modem is in the way? Just being curious - I guess your suse-box is a
firewall which you prefer over the one in your dsl modem?

IMHO not a cornercase.

Perhaps not, but hardly mainstream either :-)

I used my setup to try this also with Ubuntu (14.04LTS). AFAIK it's
the same problem, it does not support PD.

It's a very interesting topic -

I guess your dsl modem runs the dhcp client which receives the PD from
your provider. In a normal setup, ie. without another box in the
middle, I guess the dsl modem runs radvd and that's it?

I'd love to be able to explore this in depth, but I have had a static
ipv6 setup for years.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.2°C)