Re: [opensuse] ipv6 and wicked
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 22:20:57 +0200
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Op 02-06-16 om 21:13 schreef Per Jessen:
My recommendation is to go with pfsense, at least until the openSUSE
developers quit putting eye candy ahead of function.

Just to learn about it, I might well do that.

James, be a little reasonable - the guys writing e.g. wicked and the
network support have little need for eye candy. Most of the people out
there on IPv6 probably have a router supplied by the provider whichyo
happily takes of it. Needing/wanting to build your own IPv6 router
with this support is a bit of a cornercase, I would say. Might also be
difficult to find a suitable test environment.

My dsl-modem gets a /56 prefix. Afther that I put another box, namely
the suse-box. After that I have an internal network. In that situation
you have to use PD when the ISP does not hand out static prefixes. IMHO
not a cornercase.

I can only judge by the current, apparently very minor demand for such
setups. Here we have sofar seen two people asking/needing this support, I
don't know about the openSUSE fora, but one would think the issue would have
appeared much earlier - if there was much of an issue.

Of course we should support IPv6 PD, but as you say below, we (openSUSE) are
not exactly behind in this aspect. I guess you and James have both
volunteered to test when the supporting code becomes available.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.9°C)