Re: [opensuse] Off-Topic: sending details (in)securely via email

Am 01.06.2016 um 22:52 schrieb Aaron Digulla:
On 29.05.2016 19:05, gumb wrote:
Just a quick gauge on people's thoughts on this.

My employer recently asked everybody for an updated ID document. For
most of their French employees this would be their identity card, but
me being British I don't have one, so it would have to be my passport.

They want me to send a scan of it to them via email. In the past I've
refrained from sending scans of such sensitive documents by an
inherently insecure system, so I've been holding off these last few
weeks.

Since I won't be passing by the office in person anytime soon, aside
from putting a photocopy in the post, what would you advise?

First, find out if you're even allowed to make a color scan of your
passport. Some countries, Germany for example, treat passports and IDs
like money: Making a color copy of them is legally considered
counterfeiting. If the police finds out, they are obliged to come after
you (I'm not sure of the actual legal terms) and you'll face at least a
fine.

The same can happen if the receiving part doesn't take care of this
sensitive data; for example when all hotel employees have access to a
room where passport photocopies are kept in an open tray. Many countries
demand that copies must be kept closed, destroyed as soon as possible.
In Germany, you can even black out parts of the copy which aren't
strictly necessary to identify you (like your religion and the like).

B&W scans might be safe.

To transmit via email, put the image into an archive and encrypt the
archive with AES and use a good password. Tell the company the password
by phone.

Related links:
http://www.icaew.com/en/archive/members/practice-resources/icaew-practice-support/practicewire/news/photocopying-passports-revised-guidance

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personalausweis_(Deutschland)#Kopiereinschr.C3.A4nkungen

Regards,

Yeah. Since a long time I think Germany should refrain from printing millions and millions of law pages of what is forbidden, and instead print a credit card sized manual of the 5, 6 or maybe even 7 things that are allowed.

SCNR
Daniel
http://www.daniel-bauer.com
room in Barcelona: https://www.airbnb.es/rooms/2416137