Re: [opensuse] Graphics for Server
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 13:51:44 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-06-01 07:32, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

The graphics card is not used at all when converting videos to
another format. Only when displaying that video.

A graphics card's GPUs might well be used during
encoding/decoding/conversion. For instance, ffmpeg is able to use
vaapi.

Paul, your systems are virtual identical. To test if it is an issue
with the graphics card, it might be worth swapping the graphics
cards. Also try "vainfo" to see if video hardware acceleration is in
use/available.

Uh, with Nvidia cards, it's called VDPAU instead of VAAPI, I don't
know if vainfo is aware or if there is a dedicated utility for vdpau.

I don't even have vainfo installed. :-?

Do you have Intel Graphics? If not, there's no point.

vainfo comes with "vaapi-tools" which is really for Intel Graphics
only. I'm sure there must be something similar for Nvidia.

I have no idea about that. There is a "vdpauinfo" here. It prints a
page of information, but nothing about ffmpeg using it or not. :-?

No, vdpauinfo would not know about the applications, it's about the
hardware.

"man ffmpeg" has nothing about nvidia. There is a mention about vdpau,
though:

vdpau is to a large extent = nvidia. Nvidia wrote the original
interface.

Note that it is not enabled by default, and only used for playback,
and that it says: "will not be faster than software decoding on modern
CPUs"

It works wonders for playing HDTV streams from mythtv. On a somewhat
modern Intel CPU. Without it, HDTV is generally impossible. YMMV.
More modern CPUs might be better, dunno. A lot of HPC is done on GPUs
these days, so they're good for something.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.9°C)