Re: [opensuse] Off-Topic: sending details (in)securely via email
On 05/30/2016 09:37 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-05-30 15:09, Anton Aylward wrote:
So when I sent out my photocopy of my passport I wrote across it that it
was for use only by the lawyer setting the estate in the setting up of
the executor account.

I like that idea.

It's not perfect by any means.
It is possible for an ID thief who has possession of it to scan it to a
hi-reg JPEG and then carefully replace the bit of the text with what
might be behind it. A lot of guess work, a lot of careful image
manipulation which can only partially be automated.

If I was to be the target of a serious State-Actor hack, then this
expenditure of effort would be justified, but to hijack the passport
image for anything under $millions, well, there easier, "low hanging
fruit". Someone might do it if they had a personal grudge, but my ex-
isn't that tech-savvy.

YMMV.