Re: [opensuse] Off-Topic: sending details (in)securely via email
On 05/30/2016 02:17 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-29 22:47, Daniel Bauer wrote:

So should it go public somehow at least it would not reveal usable
data to identity thieves...

I know this is not correct, but what the company asks you is not
correct, too.

I don't know about France, but in Spain the ID number is filled by the
employer on several forms that the authorities require. If they take
the number from the photo, it would cause untold problems.

gumb would be sending in a copy of his passport, which presumably just
has a passport number, not an ID number as such. Besides, what would a
French system do with a British ID number? :-)

Its not that. or not just that. Or not just that alone.
A passport is adequate ID for many things such as getting a social
insurance number, opening a bank account, or, as I have done, and yes
with a photocopy of of a passport, tell a lawyer in a foreign country to
carry out actions legally binding affecting large sums of money. I went
through this after my parents died.

Last year I attended a presentation about Identity Theft. A lawyer gave
it; she had been the victim. Someone had get a copy of her driving
licence and used it as ID. They had, very amateurishly, pasted another
photo over and changed some data fields, using a different font. I
can't see how anyone could have accepted this, but apparently a bank
did, and accessed the EQIFAX records based on this and gave the thief a
mortgage on a house which she promptly flipped, but left the lawyer with
the mortgage payments. Along the way, the thief also sold the lawyers
house from under her.

That poorly modified driving license was used to get other documents and
access. As the mass of documents in the ID thief's hands built up they
became ore convincing.

So when I sent out my photocopy of my passport I wrote across it that it
was for use only by the lawyer setting the estate in the setting up of
the executor account.

The issue isn't what the French firm or the French authorities would do
with the image and information. Its what would happen if this leaked
into the hands of others. If the secretary puts it in a publicly
accessible dropbox rather than attaching it to email (as we do on this
forum). If she leaves the photocopy lying around. if she FAXes it and
the recipient doesn't take it immediately and someone sees it in the FAX
hopper and makes a copy.

I'm not a hacker, I don't have a hacker mentality. These are just
examples that I've read about or been told about. I'm sure a malicious
hacker could think of many more, possibly - no probably - has practised
many more.

The issue isn't what SHOULD happen what the OK LEGALLY PERMISSIBLE
things are, but what the the malicious illegal things are.