Re: [opensuse] Off-Topic: sending details (in)securely via email
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 19:15:25 +0200
gumb wrote:

Just a quick gauge on people's thoughts on this.

My employer recently asked everybody for an updated ID document. For
most of their French employees this would be their identity card, but
me being British I don't have one, so it would have to be my passport.

They want me to send a scan of it to them via email. In the past I've
refrained from sending scans of such sensitive documents by an
inherently insecure system, so I've been holding off these last few
weeks.

Yep, completely agree, I wouldn't do that either.

Since I won't be passing by the office in person anytime soon, aside
from putting a photocopy in the post, what would you advise?

Recorded mail. Alternatively, maybe making a copy available on a
website with encryption and password protection. A bit like an escrow
site.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.6°C)