[opensuse] Off-Topic: sending details (in)securely via email
Just a quick gauge on people's thoughts on this.

My employer recently asked everybody for an updated ID document. For most of their French employees this would be their identity card, but me being British I don't have one, so it would have to be my passport.

They want me to send a scan of it to them via email. In the past I've refrained from sending scans of such sensitive documents by an inherently insecure system, so I've been holding off these last few weeks.

Since I won't be passing by the office in person anytime soon, aside from putting a photocopy in the post, what would you advise? I'm certainly not going to delve into the complex, murky world of email encryption just for them, and besides, I don't rate the ability of the receptionist at the other end to fathom out anything more exotic than an attached jpeg.

Any attempt to send by other means may be in vain since she may forward it by email to head office.

Should I commence a lecture about safe communications practices or just swallow and hope my identity doesn't get stolen?

gumb