Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 21:48:47 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

I thought I made it clear.

Clearly not :-)

I have a VoIP service.
I have an ATA box that lets POTS handsets and stuff plug in to it so I
can use the conventional house wiring.

Right.

I had a DID service that is the same number as back in the analogue
POTs days so people can call me. To them it looks like the POTS.
I have not needed to buy net VoIP-aware handsets.

Right. Your ATA box enables that.

Between the UI on the ATA and the UI at the web site of my VoIP
provider I can set up all those things.
If you want to call that combined UI "a VoIP box" then I'm not going
to argue too hard.

Yes. For instance, your ATA box doesn't do Voicemail and call
rejects/diverts, your provider does that. Typical Asterisk setup. With
a proper VoIP telephone (we use Linksys SPA041), you have full control
of all from the keypad.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.1°C)