Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/27/2016 02:47 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-27 17:58, Anton Aylward wrote:

I don't know what you problem is.
I can do all that.
And more.
Like re-routing by time of day, different ring tones (particularly
for people I know), "follow me", different voice messages for callers
I know (e.g telling family, g/f when I'll be home), telling marketeer
that this number has been disconnected so they will (hopefully)
remove it from their phone books), simultaneous ringing of the
various rooms I might be in, ...

And a lot more.

On POTS? I can't, without purchasing expensive equipment. And I don't
even know what equipment.

Anton probably has POTS phones connected, but it is his VoIP box that
does all that fancy stuff. My old mum has also gone VoIP, but she is
having trouble getting the provider to fix the caller-id function.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it kinda works.
They're starting a petition know.

I thought I made it clear.
I have a VoIP service.
I have an ATA box that lets POTS handsets and stuff plug in to it so I
can use the conventional house wiring.

I had a DID service that is the same number as back in the analogue POTs
days so people can call me. To them it looks like the POTS.
I have not needed to buy net VoIP-aware handsets.

Between the UI on the ATA and the UI at the web site of my VoIP provider
I can set up all those things.

If you want to call that combined UI "a VoIP box" then I'm not going to
argue too hard. I'm aware that some ATA units do implement some of the
things I do with the provider's UI.

I've got fine and easy control over the caller ID I send out and
sometimes make a joke of it.