Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 14:05:27 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 05/27/2016 07:47 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/27/2016 02:38 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
I can only say that my tablet softphone uses the same settings as
my behind-the NAT ATA.

Right - they probably both have STUN or keep-alive enabled.

I keep telling you: NO THEY DON"T

Then you won't be receiving any calls.

That is not the case..
If I choose not to answer after seeing the incoming number,
or of I'm not in to answer the call anyway, that doesn't mean the
phone doesn't ring.

Neck, I get enough calls in the early evening, the kitchen phone
ringing when I'm cooking dinner that I REFUSE to answer since if I'm
nattering on the phone dinner will spoil/burn.

When I collect VM later it turns out it was always some salesman.
Friends&relative now the ebst times to call me and don't make blunders
like that.

So BAH! I refute your assertion that I can't get incoming calls even
though I don't use STUN.

I did say "or keep-alive". I am not aware of anything else that will
keep your NAT'ed device available for external access. I have some
people in home offices on NAT'ed networks, without STUN or keep-alive,
they can only call out, but we can't call them.

Maybe you're just using black magic or maybe you're not behind a NAT
router or maybe you are using STUN or keep-alive, but you don't know.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (23.3°C)