Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/26/2016 09:54 PM, James Knott wrote:
On 05/26/2016 05:14 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
I often use IP connectivity that isn't IPv6 outside my house.

Libraries, malls, conference centres, hotels, ...
And yes, most of them are using a NAT'd service.

And just to rub the point in, one of the thing I do using this 'outside
the house' NAT'd IP service is make phone calls from my tablet using a
softphone AND NO STUN.

Then you must be using a server for the duration of the call. With
VoIP, the server is supposed to be used only for setting up a peer to
peer call and then drops out of the picture.

James: I DON"T CARE! MOST HOME USERS DON'T CARE!

We're talking about POTS replacement for home users, for most SMB users
and even for most office users with a simple, straight forward PBX that
doubled as a intercom service within a single office.

its only a great technology and cost reducer in some cases.

The home users use 'phone numbers', not SIP-SIP.

Here in Toronto, Rogers and bell converted their dial-up analogue line
customers to internet based "home phone" service by installing a
independently powered, independently addressed ATA on the incoming line
(cable, DSL, fibre) and patching it in to the house (analogue) wiring.
Unfortunately they didn't massively reduce the charge to the customer
although this did massively reduce their costs.

I had this setup for a while. Its only advantage was that it had batter
backup so survived power outages.

I now have my own ATA and an 3rd part VoIP service (operating out of
Montreal but with a local node here in Toronto as well as local nodes
though North America and western Europe) for about 12% of what Rogers
was charging me for the "Home Phone". Calls are flat rate; it doesn't
matter if I'm calling my next door neighbour or a friend in new Zealand,
so long as its near somewhere they have a node or their business peers
have a node. (There's a premium for contacting cell phones in some
counties.)

So long as phones are a mass consumer item then they will be emulating
the POTS system, just as cell phones are. Consumers (as well as most
businesses) don't care about the stuff you care about so long as "it
works" and the costs stay down.

Part of the reason the telcos have to convert to VoIP and are, like
Rogers and Bell and others, slowly pushing their cable service prices
up, is that most businesses are moving away from voice service. Web
based services for bill payment, complaints, sign-up, cancellation,
problem reporting are taking over from the voice-phone based. Its
economics; many of these services can be automated. Some. like
power/hydro are automatically serviced with 'smart meters'.

I'm not saying that vice telephone will vanish.
There are always going to be teenage girls.