Re: [opensuse] ipv6 - the "Tipping Point"
On 05/26/2016 11:51 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
27.05.2016 04:42, James Knott пишет:
On 05/26/2016 03:05 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 05/26/2016 12:41 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Koenraad Lelong wrote:

P.S. maybe it's possible to automagically change the ipv6 addresses
of my servers when I get a new prefix, but *I* don't know how to do
that.
dhcpv6.

Or more precisely, dhcpv6-pd, which gets your local prefix.
Konraad would need dhcpv6 to dish out the fixed addresses to his servers
automatically, that's what I meant.

And that's why I said dpchv6-pd. dhcpv6 by itself won't do it.

You confuse two things - how local router gets information about valid
prefix(es) for global addresses and how local hosts get new prefix(es)
distributed to them.

Konraad question was about the latter. The former can be achieved by
DHCPv6 PD or any other means, including protocol private to provider.
But even if you know new prefix you still need to distribute it to local
hosts and *that* has absolutely nothing to do with Prefix Delegation.

No I'm not getting things confused. Dhcpv6 can provide a single IP
address. Dhcpv6-pd is used to get the network prefix, which the router
will in turn hand out to devices on the local network, usually with
router advertisements.