Re: [opensuse] how to play with asterisk when you're on a dynamic address
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 12:35:19 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-27 09:05, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

If they're behind NAT, they need some means to tell the other end
what their real address is. STUN does that. It also wouldn't be
necessary if NAT wasn't in the way.

Yep, like I said you make it out to be a big deal. The STUN server
took about 5mins to set up and it runs and runs and runs. The
telephone is configured to enable STUN when it's provisioned. NAT
is a fact of life, likely will be for quite some time to come. When
everyone has public addresses, we can stop the STUN server, woohoo.

Well, it is a blocker if /I/ want to play with asterisk at home.

Assuming "at home" = on a private address, behind a router with NAT.
Assuming "to play" = make and receive VoIP calls with SIP.

You can run asterisk just as you can run a webserver, a mailserver, a
VPN or a NAS at home, on your dynamic address. You will need a dynamic
DNS service, but that's not a problem. You will need some port
forwarding, also not a problem. For your external SIP clients, you
could run a STUN server, also not a problem, or you could ask them to
enable keep-alive.

It's entirely doable, Carlos. That you're on a network behind a NAT
router does make it more difficult, but only slightly.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.0°C)