Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 09:10:00 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 05/26/2016 05:09 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
You make it out to be a big deal, James. We have had a STUN server
running alongside Asterisk for years. In my office, anyone who's
working from home has a VoIP telephone set (or uses a laptop
client), whatever internet connection they're on at home is of no
concern, they are reachable by VoIP.
But that STUN server is probably set on a fixed address, so that it
can be reached by the clients. That's the problem, normal people
can't set up that lacking that fixed address. Yes, of course, there
is dyndns and such, but...

It's not the fixed address or lack of that's the problem. The phone
only "knows" the address it has on the local network, not the public
address on the other side of the firewall. STUN is used to provide
the real address.

Yes, exactly. It also keeps the NAT association open in the NAT router.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.6°C)