Re: [opensuse] VoIP
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 08:52:08 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

Does that mean that when IPv6 is universal that the telcos will get
out of the phone business as its no longer needed?

Just because everyone will eventually have a gazillion fixed public
addresses doesn't mean they will know how to use them. Everyone can
buy a screwdriver and a soldering iron, doesn't mean they can build a
radio :-)

Besides, it's not specifically related to IPv6, we have local providers
that already provide free telephony on their local networks. GGAMaur
and Meifinet are two of my local providers, they both offer this.
Obviously also with a for-a-fee hook-up to POTS. With ISDN being
phased out, a number of VoIP providers have also sprung up, they also
all offer free calls on their local networks.

If you can run Asterisk, you can provide VoIP services, there's not much
to it. Inter-connecting with the public network is a different story.

Call me on sip://pjessen@xxxxxxxxxx - it ought to get straight through
to my telephone here on my desk.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.8°C)