Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 08:38:36 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

With IPv6 you need neither. In fact, you could address someone's
phone
by something like "phone://IP-Addres" instead of or
"protocol://who@server_provider", where the directory server does a
directory search to translate your given name to the IP where you
can be found.

That's nice, I'm sure, but my set-up behave just like the analogue
POTS
I had before. (i.e. you dial a 7 or 10 digit number if you're in
north America, add a "1" international prefix if you're not)

Yes, I also have that service. Except that it is done at a box closer
to the fibre, before it gets to the router (the ONT). No user
configurable at all, and not documented.

To get "softphone" we have to reverse engineer it to get the
configuration data. And yes, it does not need STUN. But it works on a
10.*.*.* network that bypasses the NAT, that's why.

I can't see why that makes a difference but I'm not a VoIP expert.

In Carlos' exmaple, the phone and the SIP server both are on the same
network, 10.0.0.0. STUN or keep-alive is needed when the phone is on a
NAT'ed network (192.168.0.0) behind a router on the public internet.

I can only say that my tablet softphone uses the same settings as my
behind-the NAT ATA.

Right - they probably both have STUN or keep-alive enabled.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (18.2°C)