Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/26/2016 05:09 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
You make it out to be a big deal, James. We have had a STUN server
running alongside Asterisk for years. In my office, anyone who's
working from home has a VoIP telephone set (or uses a laptop client),
whatever internet connection they're on at home is of no concern, they
are reachable by VoIP.
But that STUN server is probably set on a fixed address, so that it can
be reached by the clients. That's the problem, normal people can't set
up that lacking that fixed address. Yes, of course, there is dyndns and
such, but...

It's not the fixed address or lack of that's the problem. The phone
only "knows" the address it has on the local network, not the public
address on the other side of the firewall. STUN is used to provide the
real address.