Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/26/2016 03:40 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 05/26/2016 09:35 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a
fixed address, non private, because you do want to do things
needing being accessible.
That is not the case from the end user's POV.
I have a NAT and Vop "router" behind it.
Whether I was using a NAT or not the ATA box needs to have the
address
of the ISP. How the ISP implement things, load balancing or
otherwise,
is their decision. My setup is going to be the same, NAT or not,
IPv4 or IPv6.
Actually, with NAT, you have to use an STUN server to communicate the
real address to the other end. Otherwise, it would try to use the NAT
address, which wouldn't be reachable. This is just one example of a
hack made necessary by NAT.
You make it out to be a big deal, James. We have had a STUN server
running alongside Asterisk for years. In my office, anyone who's
working from home has a VoIP telephone set (or uses a laptop client),
whatever internet connection they're on at home is of no concern, they
are reachable by VoIP.

If they're behind NAT, they need some means to tell the other end what
their real address is. STUN does that. It also wouldn't be necessary
if NAT wasn't in the way.