Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
On 2016-05-26 21:29, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Well, I have that. Silently.

When I switched to fibre, I was switched to VoIp, but I wasn't told. I
simply get a "thing" with a phone connector, to which is connected the
house phone wiring, unchanged.

Yes, I expect that will be the case for most people. Whether the telco
uses copper, fibre or carrier pigeons should be transparent to the
consumer. An ISDN customer has an NTBA ("terminator box") installed,
typically a grey box on the wall somewhere. It interfaces the
telephone wires with the S0 bus. I expect Swisscom and Deutsche Telecom
will simply replace that with another one, essentially an ADSL modem
which interfaces the telephones wires with Ethernet.

The thing is that there are way many more features possible with VoIp
terminals or softphones than with POTS. The telephone company hides the
data and says it is not possible, but people have figured out how to do
it, and do it. It is a 10.* network, probably a VPN on the same router,
with no STUN needed (because there is no NAT). People do things like
doing several simultanous phone calls, one on the POTs and several on
the softphones. I don't know if they are charged or not. They manage to
pick up the phone miles away, too.

When the phone company catches up, they'll want to charge for all that,
of course. Then people will catch up again and simply use the internet
connection with a different registrar.

Only if you want to run a server will you need fixed addresses, just
like now.

You need an intermediary where you register on each IP change so that
others can phone you.

Yes, that's called a "VoIP provider". They also provide the
interconnect to the POTS etc.

Well, interconnect to the POTS is an extra. The only service you need
outside is the registrar, and there are free providers.

You get both type of addresses for a computer? How know applications
which one to use?

/proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/use_tempaddr

0 = privacy extensions disabled.
1 = privacy extensions enabled, but not preferred.
2 = privacy extensions enabled, preferred.

It is zero here.
I see...

The default on openSUSE is 2, a sound choice for a client. I wonder how
you got a 0.

Dunno. I will have to check on other machines, this one has been
upgraded from 5.3 upwards. [...] Yes, another machine, more recently set
up has a 2. But the only address is:

inet6 addr: fe80::203:dff:fe05:17fc/64 Scope:Link

(probably because my router doesn't hand out IPv6 addresses)

Type 'b', it is always "2001:db8..."?

"2001:db8::" is like "example.com", it's for documentation only. In
real life, it will be one a prefix allocated by your provider.

Ah. :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)