Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/26/2016 01:40 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2016-05-26 15:35, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a fixed
address, non private, because you do want to do things needing being
accessible.

That is not the case from the end user's POV.
I have a NAT and Vop "router" behind it.
Whether I was using a NAT or not the ATA box needs to have the address
of the ISP. How the ISP implement things, load balancing or otherwise,
is their decision. My setup is going to be the same, NAT or not, IPv4
or IPv6.

You need a special router that is VoIp aware, and/or you need to connect
to a STUN server, which helps traverse the NAT router.

This is NOT the case.

I'm not saying that people don't configure it that way, but it isn't how
my provider works. I had to quite explicitly turn STUN OFF on my
LinkSys ATA to get it to work.

The ATA is a client, and link all clients it makes outbound connections
which are not a problem for anything behind a NAT.

With IPv6 you need neither. In fact, you could address someone's phone
by something like "phone://IP-Addres" instead of or
"protocol://who@server_provider", where the directory server does a
directory search to translate your given name to the IP where you can be
found.

That's nice, I'm sure, but my set-up behave just like the analogue POTS
I had before. (i.e. you dial a 7 or 10 digit number if you're in north
America, add a "1" international prefix if you're not)

Except for one thing.
I can male 'softphone calls' from my tablet as well.
From anywhere I can get a wifi connection.
It doesn't matter if the wifi service is behind a NAT; in fact since
many of the conferences / malls / libraries use a 10., they must be NAT'd.
And my tablet it is using Zopier as the softphone and that isn't
configured to use STUN either.

Ie, IPv6 allows non-anonymous peer to peer services without intermediaries.

That's good.
Does that mean that when IPv6 is universal that the telcos will get out
of the phone business as its no longer needed?