Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 2016-05-26 21:40, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Actually, with NAT, you have to use an STUN server to communicate the
real address to the other end. Otherwise, it would try to use the NAT
address, which wouldn't be reachable. This is just one example of a
hack made necessary by NAT.

You make it out to be a big deal, James. We have had a STUN server
running alongside Asterisk for years. In my office, anyone who's
working from home has a VoIP telephone set (or uses a laptop client),
whatever internet connection they're on at home is of no concern, they
are reachable by VoIP.

But that STUN server is probably set on a fixed address, so that it can
be reached by the clients. That's the problem, normal people can't set
up that lacking that fixed address. Yes, of course, there is dyndns and
such, but...

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)