Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 21:44:58 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2016-05-26 19:20, James Knott wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:17 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Also, as I mentioned in another note, privacy addresses are
usually used. These addresses have a fairly short lifetime, so
are useless long term for attacks.
Well, that's good.

How does that work? The router hands them, or the computer
autoassigns them?

The computer or other device generates a 64 bit random number to be
used
as the host portion of the address. When your computer is on for a
while, you'll see a list of previously used addresses, which are
still valid, but eventually those addresses will fall off the end of
the
list. Only the newest one is used for outgoing connections.

Where do you see them, in ifconfig, ip addr?

Either one. ifconfig is deprecated, but "ip addr" will show you.

Let me see, I have:

inet6 addr: fe80::221:85ff:fe16:2d0b/64 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: fc00::14/64 Scope:Global

The second one I recognize as having created it myself, manually. And
the first one is constructed from the MAC. Maybe the address you mean
is only generated when the router hands over a prefix? (which it
doesn't, as I don't have IPv6)

Yes, unless you have radvd (or equivalent) running on your router, your
devices will not configure any ipv6 addresses.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.0°C)