Re: [opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 2016-05-26 15:35, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a fixed
address, non private, because you do want to do things needing being
accessible.

That is not the case from the end user's POV.
I have a NAT and Vop "router" behind it.
Whether I was using a NAT or not the ATA box needs to have the address
of the ISP. How the ISP implement things, load balancing or otherwise,
is their decision. My setup is going to be the same, NAT or not, IPv4
or IPv6.

You need a special router that is VoIp aware, and/or you need to connect
to a STUN server, which helps traverse the NAT router.

With IPv6 you need neither. In fact, you could address someone's phone
by something like "phone://IP-Addres" instead of or
"protocol://who@server_provider", where the directory server does a
directory search to translate your given name to the IP where you can be
found.

Ie, IPv6 allows non-anonymous peer to peer services without intermediaries.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)