Re: [opensuse] ipv6
Quoting James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On 05/26/2016 02:24 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 05/25/2016 09:26 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
But unless and until all the agencies I deal with ALSO handle IPv6,
the
"why bother?" So long as they deal with IPv4 I end up using IPv4.

"Dual stack"?
Perhaps.

No doubt this is where James comes in to tell of his experience in
the area, and I rather hear about that than him telling us all that
NAT is evil.
I have a browser add-on called "ShowIP", which displays the IP address
of the site I'm connected to. I see IPv6 more & more often, as more
sites move to it. Of course the big improvement for users is the
ability to directly access a computer behind the firewall, without
messing with port forwarding.
A big improvement that 99% of users won't need nor know about :-)

In the last 30 days, for IPv6 sites, I see almost exclusively bigger
companies with a large public audience - yahoo, google, youtube, the
EU, SBB, Porsche, academic/universities, linkedin, eurovisino, facebork
etcetera. For local sites, only these:

Many of those have had it for years. Strangely, the openSUSE had IPv6,
but dropped when there was a web site change a while ago. A step back,
just like so many other things with openSUSE.
adquality.ch
sixy.ch (some ipv6 association)
blogspot.ch
www.fundmuenzen.ch (academic).
www.gottardo2016.ch (national railroads)
www.sbb.ch (national railroads)

German sites - Heise Verlag and eBay.

It's coming, but still veryyyyy slowly. Especially the smaller
providers and hosters are lagging behind, but also many big companies -
e.g. amazon, IBM, HP, SUSE, ABB, Credit-Suisse, UBS, FAZ.

Many of the major ISPs are now providing IPv6, which will put pressure
on smaller ones to catch up. IPv6 has been available to business users
for quite some time.

For someone who doesn't need to run a server behind a NAT router, is it worth
the trouble to set up IPv6?

TIA,
Jeffrey