[opensuse] VoIP ATA does NOT need to have a foxed address, only the ISP does
On 05/26/2016 09:20 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But if you want to make use of things like VoIP you would need a fixed
address, non private, because you do want to do things needing being
accessible.

That is not the case from the end user's POV.
I have a NAT and Vop "router" behind it.
Whether I was using a NAT or not the ATA box needs to have the address
of the ISP. How the ISP implement things, load balancing or otherwise,
is their decision. My setup is going to be the same, NAT or not, IPv4
or IPv6.

Yes, the service provider needs a static address, but the providers
needs static addresses (or at least a good DNS and update) for their a
web service, email service (SMTP or POP/IMAP) and a host of other things.

"That's not what I meant" ?

Well, please make it clear, then, whether you are talking about a client
or a service provider, an ISP that is providing a raft of services with
full support, possibly commercially, and an 'at home' that has opened a
port-forwarder to provide a 'service' that is not supported like the ISP
(yamma yamma).

You said in the above "make use of".
I took that to mean "make use of a service provider offering ..".
In that contest, no you don't need a fixed address as a client.