Re: [opensuse] ipv6
On 05/26/2016 02:24 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
James Knott wrote:

On 05/25/2016 09:26 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
But unless and until all the agencies I deal with ALSO handle IPv6,
the
"why bother?" So long as they deal with IPv4 I end up using IPv4.

"Dual stack"?
Perhaps.

No doubt this is where James comes in to tell of his experience in
the area, and I rather hear about that than him telling us all that
NAT is evil.
I have a browser add-on called "ShowIP", which displays the IP address
of the site I'm connected to. I see IPv6 more & more often, as more
sites move to it. Of course the big improvement for users is the
ability to directly access a computer behind the firewall, without
messing with port forwarding.
A big improvement that 99% of users won't need nor know about :-)

In the last 30 days, for IPv6 sites, I see almost exclusively bigger
companies with a large public audience - yahoo, google, youtube, the
EU, SBB, Porsche, academic/universities, linkedin, eurovisino, facebork
etcetera. For local sites, only these:

Many of those have had it for years. Strangely, the openSUSE had IPv6,
but dropped when there was a web site change a while ago. A step back,
just like so many other things with openSUSE.
adquality.ch
sixy.ch (some ipv6 association)
blogspot.ch
www.fundmuenzen.ch (academic).
www.gottardo2016.ch (national railroads)
www.sbb.ch (national railroads)

German sites - Heise Verlag and eBay.

It's coming, but still veryyyyy slowly. Especially the smaller
providers and hosters are lagging behind, but also many big companies -
e.g. amazon, IBM, HP, SUSE, ABB, Credit-Suisse, UBS, FAZ.

Many of the major ISPs are now providing IPv6, which will put pressure
on smaller ones to catch up. IPv6 has been available to business users
for quite some time.