Re: [opensuse] No SANE devices found
On 23/05/16 11:57 AM, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
I have SuSE 13.2 and try to install Brother DCP-7040 as a scanner
(before I had installed it as a printer, with some difficulties, but
eventually with success).
I have had this printer/scanner working well under 12.1, 12.3 and now
Leap 42.1. It took a bit of work to get it working under 12.1 (mostly I
think because I wasn't quite sure what I was doing), but for subsequent
installs, all I did was install the rpms from Brother right after the
system install, and it works. If the scanner is showing up in YaST, it
should be working properly -- printer as well.

If the scanner is successfully installed, it should appear in the
results of "scanimage -L":

loki~ # scanimage -L
device `brother3:bus7;dev2' is a Brother DCP-7040 USB scanner

I do not use scanimage myself, finding it cumbersome to work with..
Xsane is much better. If you do use scanimage, use device name
"brother3"; including the bus location on the command line merely
confuses the software.

Note that if you also install the package "brscan-skey" you will also be
able to scan documents from the printer control panel (second button
from the left on the panel). Current version is 0.2.4-1.
Now, I have two questions: Is /usr/bin/scanimage the correct program
to be invoked for scanning? And if so, how can I create the missing
SANE devices?
Again, I would use xsane, as it is much easier to use. Also be sure to
confirm in YaST that the scanner is installed; if it is, it should work.

PS, use the 64-bit rpms; they have been available since opensuse 12.3,
and I have never had any problem with them.