[opensuse] mplayer not in the repos?
On Sat, 21 May 2016 01:18, jd1008 wrote:

Hi all,
I installed smplayer, and that also brought in /usr/bin/mpv
but not mplayer, which I like to use.

1. For the main distro (Leap, Factory/Tumbleweed), the package
"mplayer" has been superseeded by "mpv".

2. For anything else, a hint: "zypper search -s {search-term}"

3. for needs bejond the offical disto repo, there is "Packman"

From "Packman" Repo, package-name is:

"MPlayer", version 1.2.r37548-5.2 , -or-

"baka-mplayer", version 2.0.4-1.1

IF you install mplayer from packman, do
yourself a favior and also use the smplayer from
the packman repo, to ensure it works together.

But what mplayer does better than mpv eludes me,
for most things, use a simple alias:
"alias mplayer=mpv" or as root create a link:
"cd /usr/bin ; sudo ln -s mpv mplayer"

- Yamaban