Re: [opensuse] claws-mail on leap
On 05/20/2016 09:00 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
On 2016-05-20 13:52, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Assuming your account is IMAP, as most accounts are, you don't need to
transfer anything. You just set it up in as many machines as you want.
Even a hundred machines. Just use mail, simultaneously or not.

I was brought up on systems that used to crash when the mail servers got
full.

The economics of a service provider today is quite different from when I
was running a "Board" for the local community and a mail-bomb
(attaching the OS/2 installation floppy disk seemed to be a popular
mode). My service provider gives me, what is for my purposes;
effectively unlimited storage and bandwidth.

Its my local "last mile" cable company that is the problem; limited
bandwidth, cap on transfer volume, punitive over-run fees. Its these
last-mile provisions that are going to be the real impediment to the
dream of cloud computing and univesal IoT.

Nowadays I don't want to leave my personal mail on the net for all
the hackers in the world to search.

That's an arguable point and depends on the service provider. Some are
more diligent than others. Some do store your messages in encrypted
format. YMMV. That's your decision.

Personally I like the idea of IMAP for that very reason.
My service provider lets me run spam and other filtering as things are
delivered to my mailbox, before I even connect. And makes it easy to
update. You want a "plonk"? Well don't even waste bandwidth
downloading the header/message to run your own SpamAssassin/filter!

So I see what's left after than. I can scan and delete.
Again I don't have to waste bandwidth.

So I download and delete the online copy.

I can then be *very* choosy over which messages I *do* choose to
download and keep. Again I save bandwidth.

Running in "POP3" mode, however you choose to do that or its equivalent,
is going to eat your bandwidth and load up your machine with unwanted
email you have to run decision on locally.

its not fashionable to think of IMAP as "cloud computing" but lets face
it, having my service provider run SpamAssassin and apply my rules on
incoming mail to my mailboxes is more definitely a remote service, most
definitely applying HIS commuting power rather than mine. Isn't this
what is being touted by the talking heads as "cloud computing" and
"Software as a Service"?

The issue isn't whether its his computer or your computer that's doing
the filtering. There's nothing preventing you downloading the messages
after the discard process has been applied. But why consume YOUR
bandwidth and disk storage with the junk in the first place when you
don't need to?

If you are really concerned about the security of your messaging then I
would do what the security pundits advise and make use of
"classification". There are specific security communication tools out
there. There are ones that utilise secure/encrypted channels,
secure/encrypted storage. Use them for the communications that *need*
to be secure and the regular SMTP/IMAP/TLS for the ones that are
classified as "banal". Lets face it, the messages on this list are
archived and available for anyone, even non-list members, to read. So
that part of you "personal email" is "left on the net" for anyone to
read anyway. "Banal" as a classification doesn't necessarily mean
"Boring", Try "not interesting". To be honest, a lot more than half
the posts here are "not interesting" to 90% of the subscribers; that
applies to just about any list. It's why most lists have so many
'silent lurkers'.

If you are concerned about the security of the process of logging on and
reading, than look into setting up access your IMAP account using TLS as
the sign-on protocol and IMAP-S as the communication protocol.
If you service provider does not support these then I strongly *VERY
STRONGLY* suggest that you get another provider who actually cares about
your security and protection of personal information.

Here's an example of one provider's How-To for setting up secure IMAP:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Email_Client_Configuration#Secure_IMAP_incoming_configuration

Do I hear a "yes, but" argument?
All a "yes, but" argument tells me is that even though the technology is
there, and is easy and simple, the provider or the user doesn't really
care about security.