Re: [opensuse] DHCPv6-PD request
Op 10-05-16 om 13:29 schreef Carlos E. R.:
Please allow my ignorance, I'll place a question for my learning :-)

I thought the general purpose is to get a large range (/64) IPv6
addresses from the ISP. A single one is assigned to the external
interface of the entry router, another single one to the internal
interface, and then the router hands over (2^64 -2) addresses to the
millions of possible internal machines, each one with an IPv6 real world
address, so that any internal machine is reachable (if the router
firewall permits it) from the world.

A little late, but I can't resist.

AFAIK, *all* addresses of the given prefix are intended for the *internal* network. Just like in ipv4 the external address and internal address or a router should be in a different subnet (=prefix in ipv6 language). Otherwise, how is the router going to decide which way a packet has to go ? Internal : 192.168.0.1/24, external 192.168.0.2/24. Where does it send a packet for 192.168.0.3/24 ? Likewise for ipv6.
It is possible to devide the prefix further in smaller prefixes, but, AFAIK, that's not preferred.

Koenraad.

P.S. I'm no guru, I'm trying to understand ipv6. So please correct me if I'm wrong. Also links to study-material are welcome !