Re: [opensuse] alsamixer offers only S/PDIF pair instead of full suite for HDMI device/output
Takashi Iwai composed on 2016-05-18 13:45 (UTC+0200):

On Wed, 18 May 2016 11:51:18 +0200 Felix Miata wrote:

Takashi Iwai composed on 2016-05-18 10:12 (UTC+0200):

> On Wed, 18 May 2016 10:08:59 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>> Felix Miata wrote:

>> > # cat /proc/asound/cards
>> > 0 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
>> > HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb60000 irq 16
>> > 1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
>> > HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeb64000 irq 41

>> > # aplay -vv -Dplughw:0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
>> > (produces sound through analog pin jack)

>> > # aplay -vv -Dplughw:1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/test.wav
>> > aplay: main:722: audio open error: No such file or directory

>> % aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1 foo.wav

>> plughw implies the device index 0 which is assigned for the analog I/O
>> for HD-audio. HDMI/DP has a different dedicated index number.

> Oh, BTW, if there are multiple HDMI/DP ports exposed by the hardware
> (likely yes), you need to figure out which port your monitor is
> connected to. For port 0, 1, 2, you can open like:
> aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1,0 foo.wav
> aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1,1 foo.wav
> aplay -vv -Dhdmi:1,2 foo.wav

Good to know. Thanks! Using 0,0 succeeds, but I don't see a connection
between proving HDMI sound works with aplay, and actually getting
system sounds and apps to recognize and use HDMI instead of pin
jack. 'options snd index=1,0' swaps the device order, but otherwise
changes nothing I can detect.

Using the HDMI as the default isn't so trivial, unfortunately.
You can redefin the "default" PCM by setting in your ~/.asoundrc like:

pcm.!default "hdmi:1,0"

This needs to work globally. Luckily, that transferred to /etc/asound.conf.

The "!" mark means to override the existing definition.

That provided a baby step in the right direction.

I now have an estimated minimum of 30+ hours spent experimenting, googling, reading, rebooting, trying to figure out how to get HDMI sound on this system in 42.1, 13.2, 13.1 and Debian Stretch.

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Bobs/ has the docs I've created during this process.

These are logs of tests using aplay with different combinations of /etc/modprobe.d/ configurations run on both vtty and in TDE:
options-none-gui.txt
options-none-tty.txt
options-1-gui.txt
options-1-tty.txt
options-10-gui.txt
options-10-tty.txt

They produced the first sound from openSUSE via HDMI, while first sound via HDMI came from VLC (only) in Stretch.

Output from alsa-info.sh from Stretch and 42.1:
alsa-info.txt-d9stretch-a88x-easyst
alsa-info.txt-os421-a88x-easyst

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Bobs/sndnotes.txt is the log of the most recent hours spent, ultimately trying Takashi's last in thread suggestion in both 13.2 and 42.1. 13.2 worked slightly better in that it produced Youtube sound in Firefox while 42.1 would not.

Still, the goal is getting sound from TDE, HTML5 and media players on the HDMI output, hopefully including mixer access to HDMI as well as S/PDIF, aka sound control via TDE mixer, in the process. Whether sound on any pinjack works I really don't care. The end is not yet in sight trying to get there. One combination on openSUSE, plus Stretch, have proven VLC can put sound on HDMI, so clearly the hardware is functional. Possible permutations of things to try have been and remain huge. It needs to work right, because ultimately its nearly blind owner depends on properly working and decent quality text to speech. What to try next I am too tired and frustrated to think about. :-(

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/